The spokesperson of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Wilson Uwujaren, has been dragged to court by a former national publicity secretary for PDP
– Olisa Metuh in an application before Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court alleged hat Uwujaren in a publication on EFCC’s official platforms intended to mislead the public, blackmail the court and derail the course of justice on the ongoing trial
– Metuh through his counsel said he never admitted receiving any money from Colonel Sambo Dasuki neither did he admit to having shared the N400 million approved by former president Goodluck Jonathan for political purposes
The trial of a former national publicity secretary of the opposition party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh, took a dramatic turn on Monday, September 30, as the defendant levelled grave allegations against the spokesperson for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Wilson Uwujeren.
At the hearing before Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Metuh brought to the court’s notice a publication signed by Uwujaren and published on the EFCC’s website titled; “How I Shared N400m from Dasuki- Metuh”.
Metuh in his submission through his counsels told the court that publication was also shared on the commission’s official Facebook page, Instagram and further distributed to several media organisations as a press statement.
Metuh’s counsel, Abel Ozioko, while addressing the court described the publication – which could result to a jail term for the EFCC’s spokesperson – as malicious, mischievous and deliberate misrepresentation intended to mislead the public, blackmail the court and derail the course of justice.
Ozioko also said that the publication made by the anti-graft agency through its spokesperson does not reflect the proceeding in court on Friday, September 27, 2019. The defence counsel said the publication showcases outright falsehood and distortions purposefully positioned to “mislead the unsuspecting public” on issues regarding the case.
Ozioko also said that contrary to claims in the EFCC publication, Metuh “never admitted receiving any money from ColonelSambo Dasuki, neither did he admit to having shared the N400m duly released to him by President Goodluck Jonathan, for an approved special national assignment to individuals for other purposes”.
He also said that the publication was deliberately designed to injure and drag the integrity of the court in the mud and derail a fair trial by selling to the Nigerian public an impression that the defendant admitted receiving N400m for political reasons from the former NSA who is also standing trial in a different court.
“My Lord, this is very mischievous. It may lead to an outcry and public vilification of the integrity of this court when eventually the court looks at the hard evidence before it and takes a decision. If that decision is not in line with the impression the EFCC is creating in the mind of the public by this type of publication, the court will be accused of bias,” Ozioko said.
Metuh’s counsel in a gentle reminder told the court of various occasions where the defendants had brought issues of media misrepresentations by the EFCC and how the court had continuously frowned at such practice.
He, therefore, moved the court, through a motion, to protect its integrity and put an end to the media trial in Metuh’s case by ordering that the EFCC’s spokesman appear before it to show why he should not be committed to prison for contempt and misrepresentation of proceedings.
Ruling, Justice Abang fixed Monday, October 7, for hearing of the application to determine Uwujaren’s fate.
After further cross-examination of the defendant, the court adjourned the substantive matter to Wednesday, October 3, for continuation of trial.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the former NSA had said that all his dealings with the past national publicity secretary for PDP were done legally.
Dasuki testifying under evidence in chief before Justice Abang said he did not commit any illegal transaction with Metuh.